British Pakistanis Are Corrupt? Dominic Grieve Of The Conservative Party Blames The Whole Pakistani Community
By Sikander Hayat
Tories are turning into their normal self and there cannot be a better example of this than the statement by Dominic Grieve that Pakistanis living in UK are the only corrupt community in this country. Pakistanis are part of the British mainstream and are no more corrupt than any other part of the wider british society. There are anti corruption laws in this country and if there is any individual who is involved in any such activity must be punished. I have few question that I need to ask of Mr Grieve to understand the “special” roles that British Pakistanis play in the corruption story in United Kingdom:
- How many bankers who robbed this country and brought it to near financial collapse were of Pakistani origin?
- How many members of parliament who fiddled their expenses were of Pakistani origin?
- How many policeman who were taking money from newspapers to sell stories were of Pakistani origin?
- How many journalists who hacked people’s personal phones and destroyed lives for money were of Pakistani origin?
- How many people who get prosecuted in United Kingdom for tax evasion are of Pakistani origin?
- How many people who get caught claiming benefits in this country who are not entitled to them are of Pakistani origin?
- How many tax exiles who have businesses in UK but live offshore and pay no tax are of Pakistani origin?
Data is available from courts all over United Kingdom. How many Pakistanis have been prosecuted for corruption and what is percentage of others. Blaming British Pakistanis for an increasing social ill will not resolve the problem. There is a problem in British society and that is Muslim bashing in general and Pakistan bashing in particular.
Conservative party is harking back to the infamous Enoch Powell by blaming a particular community for the ills of the society. These are cheap tactics to appease the Far Right in this country.
This is not the way to run a civilized country as this country has laws and those laws apply equally to everyone in the society. If someone is involved in corruption, that person and that person only is responsible, not the whole segments of society. Shame on you, Mr Grieve. Shame on you.